Outdoor Recreation and Education
Immerse yourself in the outdoors with a field trip to the Atwood Center. Atwood offers recreation and education fieldtrips to schools and groups year round. We offer a wide variety of field trip options for grades K-12. Programs range from day trips to a 2 ½ day overnight stay. Overnight dorms can accommodate up to 68 students and 4 adults, with overflow dorms available if numbers are exceeded.
The Rockford Park District’s Outdoor Recreation and Education (ORE) program focuses on engaging participants in the outdoors with hands-on experiences. The ORE program coordinates high-quality outdoor experiences with Illinois State Board of Education Standards, Common Core Standards, and Next Generation Science Standards.
Open registration for the 2016/2017 school year begins April 21st, 2016. Dates fill fast, so early registration is encouraged.
Contact us at 815.966.8747 for more information.
Overnight program fees include meals. For day programs, meals can be added for an additional cost. Residential rates apply to residents of the Rockford Park District.
- Half Day (one class): $11; $9 (resident)
- Full Day (two classes): $14; $12 (resident)
Resident Ed (March - November)
- All But the Bunks (9:30a - 7:30p): $54; $43 (resident)
- 1-1/2 Day: $84; $67 (resident)
- 2-1/2 Day: $137; $110 (resident)
Resident Ed (December - February)
- All But the Bunks: $48; $38 (resident)
- 1-1/2 Day: $73; $58 (resident)
- 2-1/2 Day: $124; $85 (resident)
Birds of Prey
- 1-100 per person: $4.50; $3.50 (resident)
- 100+ Flat Rate: $400; $325 (resident)
- Hot Breakfast: $7
- Lunch: $7.50
- Dinner: $8.50
- Chili/Hot Dog Lunch: $4
- Cold Breakfast: $4.50
Any student who is a resident of the Rockford Park District and who is eligible for school-related fee assistance is automatically eligible to receive a 50% fee reduction for Atwood’s Outdoor Recreation & Education program.